On the Savvy Musician Show today, Leah and CJ are exploring the world of physical sales and how it is still alive in 2019! Not so long ago it seemed like the formats of CDs, tapes, and vinyl was a thing of the past. But thanks to a resurgence of younger audiophiles and music fans, sales of physical music have actually risen in the last decade. From the almost completely vinyl music stand in Barnes & Noble to new independent record stores and beyond, physical music is not dead and can make up a huge part of your earnings as an independent music business. Leah and CJ unpack just how this could work for you, focusing on touring versus online, how to find and target the right audience for physical products, merch versus music and more! We talk about the vital importance of the visual side of this work, artwork, and coherence can play a huge role in your success. Leah also stresses the value of product photography and testing out markets, so make sure to tune in for this great conversation!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Today’s student spotlight; a special message from Jason!
- Barnes & Noble’s music section and the current focus they put on vinyl.
- Leah’s attitude towards physical merch from the standpoint of a non-touring artist.
- Reasons that Leah’s fans buy her merch; unique, exclusive and part of something bigger.
- The shift back to deep appreciation for the quality of audio and music.
- Determining and targeting people who love vinyl or other physical formats.
- The importance of artwork and the visual language and style you use.
- Product photography and making the most of displaying your physical products.
- Validation and product testing with the minimum risk necessary.
- Some information on the new Inner Circle monthly membership.
- And much more!
“To do a limited edition of something that would be so fun, because I grew up with cassettes and I always wanted to have my own tape.” — @LEAHthemusic [0:02:46]
“Nothing is as inspiring, or reinforcing as results. It doesn’t matter what they are, long as you see some light, little glimmer of hope that you’re on the right path.” — @metalmotivation [0:03:32]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Savvy Musician Academy — https://savvymusicianacademy.com/elite/call/
Savvy Musician Mastermind on Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/groups/savvymusician/
Savvy Musician Spotify course — www.savvymusicianacademy.com/Spotify
Inner Circle — https://savvymusicianacademy.com/innercircle
Audible — https://www.audible.com
Stripe — https://stripe.com/
Jason Allender (Student Spotlight) — https://www.facebook.com/JasonJamesWren/