Once believed to have been the archetypal starving artist, it was later revealed that Michelangelo was a millionaire and, in fact, the wealthiest Renaissance artist of all time. Many of us have the perception that being an artist – whether you are a painter, writer or musician – means that you will live a life of barely coming by and of always struggling financially. This is a complete lie, and in this episode, we dig into this topic, busting the myth of the struggling artist and helping you to re-evaluate your perspectives on money. We talk about scarcity versus an abundance mentality, and how your belief system can impact the relationships and opportunities that come your way. Now, we are not talking about the passivity that sometimes comes along with positive thinking and the law of attraction. While it is important to develop an optimistic attitude, it is equally important to act, to take intentional steps toward creating the future you dream of. Join us for another enlightening conversation and, if you were waiting for it, a permission slip to succeed!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Realizing that there are certain mindsets that could prevent you from being successful.
- The widespread belief in the “starving artist” story and why it needs to change.
- Looking critically at your beliefs and how you speak about the financial aspects of your art.
- Unpacking the term “poverty mentality” and the influences that shape your view of money.
- The false perception that money is a limited resource.
- Scarcity versus abundance; understanding that you must take action.
- How you might repel people and opportunities through your lack of belief.
- The fear of success and responsibility as another form of procrastination.
- Busting the myth that money is the root of evil that will invariably corrupt you.
- The importance of understanding that money is a necessary resource.
- Guilt, self-condemnation and your perceptions about what you ‘deserve’.
- And much more!
“Whatever you focus on is going to get magnified whether positive or negative. It all depends on what you are giving your attention to.” — @metalmotivation [0:09:51]
“There is no lack. It’s just a lack of belief, right? And a lack of true belief is what we call doubt and that’s what limits us.” — @metalmotivation [0:15:43]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Call Savvy Musician Academy — www.callsma.com
Real Artists Don’t Starve by Jeff Goins — https://amzn.to/34WVRUn
Savvy Musician Show Episode 7 — https://savvymusicianacademy.com/blog/2018/03/7-real-artists-dont-starve-jeff-goins/
Singing Success Vocal Retreat — https://singingsuccess.com/retreat/
Quick Cash Generation Guide — www.savvymusicianacademy.com/cashgeneration
The Secret — https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0846789/
Family Wealth by James E. Hughes Jr. — https://amzn.to/2LGXbmJ
Lindsay Matheson (Student Spotlight) — https://www.lindsayschoolcraft.com/