Brett is one of the worlds most sought after vocal coaches, largely because of his uncanny ability to “see with his ears,” and instantly invent exercises that get astounding results. His client list contains winners of the world’s most prestigious vocal awards, including the Doves, the CMA Awards, and yes, the Grammys.
In Part 2 of this interview, Leah and Brett talk about what separates pros from amateurs and how to seriously uplevel your singing game.
Important Things to Remember
- Amateurs take tips. Pros train with a plan.
- If you want to be paid more, you need to increase your skill.
- You find the notes through flow, not force.
- Expose. Involve. Upgrade.
- Amateurs practice just until they get it right. Pros practice until they never get it wrong.
- First is mechanics, then muscle memory, then music.
Revisit the Highlights
01:00 – Why Coaching Matters
05:00 – Having A Business Mindset
07:13 – Focus on What Matters.
12:21 – The Importance of Singing like Yourself.
15:20 – Three Overlapping Circles that Guide Your Training.
20:40 – Getting Permission from your Audience.
23:00 – When You Don’t Have A Coach.
24:14 – Quick Vocal Tip
30:44 – Building Trust with Your Audience.
34:04 – Singing is Mental
37:17 – Finding Results.