Brett is one of the worlds most sought after vocal coaches, largely because of his uncanny ability to “see with his ears,” and instantly invent exercises that get astounding results. His client list contains winners of the world’s most prestigious vocal awards, including the Doves, the CMA Awards, and yes, the Grammys.
In Part 1 of this interview, Leah and Brett talk about what it really take to be consistently great singer.
Important Things to Remember
- Motivation is crap. Drive is unstoppable.
- The resistance that tries to stop you is the things that strengthens you.
- If you have to strain to hit a note, you won’t get it right.
- Positive thinking is not effective without a plan.
- If you never lose you are never getting better.
- The more technique you have, the more loose and reckless you can be.
- A competitive singer is trying to find a song to show off their voice. An artist is trying to find their voice to show off a song.
Revisit the Highlights
03:32 – Developing your Brand as a Singer.
05:45 – Humility is the Key to Learning.
13:22 – The Drive to Conquer Your Mountain.
20:20 – Common Lies about Vocalists.
28:23 – Finding Meaningful Victories.
28:45 – Leveling up your skill set.
37:56 – Being Dangerously Interesting, not Technically Interesting.
41:37 – What it Means To Sing with Soul