In this episode of the Savvy Musician Show Leah will be talking about windowing and its usefulness as a launch strategy. First off, Leah unpacks exactly what windowing is and how it has traditionally been used in the film industry to try and maximize revenue for films across platforms. She then looks at who in the music industry the strategy might be applicable to and why you would actually consider employing it in the first place. From there she unpacks some of the fundamental pros and cons of windowing and how to navigate these for best results. The last part of the episode is spent examining Leah’s own experiences with this strategy, in her current album launch cycle. For a great and informative exploration of the idea and its utility, be sure to tune in!
Key Points From This Episode:
- What is windowing? And looking how it has been used in the film industry.
- Who can successfully use windowing as a strategy?
- Basic pros and cons of windowing your album launch.
- The importance of communication and framing your choices to your fans.
- Considering piracy and losing revenue across platforms.
- Setting expectations and preparing for the unexpected.
- Leah’s own experiences with windowing in her current launch cycle.
- Why Leah has now chosen the accelerated windowing strategy for herself.
- Hitting six figures for the launch and revenue goals for the rest of the year.
- Exposure over windowing in building a following.
- Leah’s challenge to those looking to build a bigger audience.
- And much more!
“All my marketing strategies for my album are encompassed in what I can do online and how I can promote my fan base year round and then I create assets and my albums are assets and these assets are what I market every single day.” — @LEAHthemusic [0:01:38.6]
“By controlling the experience, you’re controlling where and how people can access that media.” — @LEAHthemusic [0:04:11.3]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Savvy Musician Academy Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/onlinemusician/
The Superfan System Elite Program — http://www.callsma.com/